Bayern Munich coach, Jupp Heynckes has brought the club to the edge of an unprecedented treble this season – the Bundesliga title is in the bag, they have reached the DFB-Pokal final and they can be crowned kings of Europe this weekend- and claims that on tonight’s clash (Saturday, 25/05) against Borussia Dortmund at Wembley will be his last chance to win the Champions League!
The Bavarians boss will be replaced by former Barcelona trainer Pep Guardiola in the summer and as such has looked at the game in London against die Roten’s familiar German adversary as his final chance to lift the Champions League trophy.
Therefore, Heynckes stated to reporters: “Last Saturday was my last Bundesliga match as a coach and on Saturday it will be my last opportunity to hold one of these trophies in my hands!”
He believes that the final, being held at Wembley to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the FA, should be truly special and believes his Bayern side can beat Dortmund on Saturday as long as they play as a team and not as individuals. He said: “Wembley is a place with tradition in English, European and international football. And that’s a particular incentive to players to be in such a venerable location for a Champions League final. I think the atmosphere is going to be unique!”
Only to addd: “I’ve always tried to think positively – I know what my team can achieve. I said that before Juventus, and before Barcelona when we weren’t the favourites. I’ve always thought we could win this competition. We have an extraordinary team and they play as a unit. If we can draw on that on Saturday, we’re going to win the match.”
Inter sacked coach Andrea Stramaccioni after just 14 months in charge! The club’s sporting director, Marco Branca broke the news to the 37-year-old via a telephone call, following the Nerazzurri’s disappointing ninth-place finish in a campaign that included 16 league defeats! Stramaccioni, who was hired in March 2012 following the departure of Claudio Ranieri, was contracted at the Giuseppe Meazza until the summer of 2015 and both parties are currently locked in negotiations to determine the value of the severance package.
Only a few hours after that, Inter confirmed the appointment of former Napoli boss, Walter Mazzarri as the club’s new coach on a two-year deal! Former Sampdoria trainer Mazzarri had been heavily linked with a move to San Siro after guiding the Partenopei to an impressive second-place finish in Serie A this season!
A statement on the club’s official club website reads: “FC Internazionale would like to announce that the club has appointed Walter Mazzarri as the new head coach! FC Internazionale would like to thank Andrea Stramaccioni for the great commitment and professionalism he showed in a particularly difficult year. Walter Mazzarri has signed a two-year deal.”
The move brings to an end Mazzarri’s four-year reign in Campania following the club’s highest league finish in over 20 years, sealing qualification for next season’s Champions League in the process. However, Mazzarri will not be involved in any European competition next year as Inter did not qualify for either the Champions League or Europa League after a disappointing campaign saw them end the season in ninth.
Earlier today (Saturday, 25/05), Santos has officially confirmed having accepted two offers for Neymar! The two sides to have had offers accepted are widely reported to be Barcelona and Real Madrid. The club from Brazil via its official Twitter account, stated: “Santos FC announces that it has received two proposals for Neymar. The Management Committee of the club decided to negotiate the sale of the player. Neymar and his father are expected in Belmiro to choose which proposal the player will accept.”
The two-time South American Player of the Year, whose contract is set to expire in 2014, informed the club earlier this month of his desire to join Barcelona. However, Tito Vilanova’s side had seen two bids previous bids rejected by the Brazilian outfit but are now one step closer to sealing a deal for the Brazil international.
Now, the 21-year-ol – who described learning that the bids had been accepted as “the happiest moment of my life” – insists he will take his time over the decision of where he will ply his trade. The Brazil international stated to reporters: “It’s an honour, this is the happiest moment of my life and I am going to give a lot of thought to the two offers! I’m going to make this decision with my family, there’s no rush. I could make my decision in five minutes, half an hour or three days. My family will help decide what’s best for me.”
Neymar has long courted interest from a plethora of European giants, with Bayern Munich and Chelsea having both been linked with the player in the past along with the Spanish duo. The Selecao starlet was named in the longlist for the 2013 Ballon d’Or which was ultimately won by Lionel Messi ahead of his Barca team-mate Andres Iniesta and Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo. Neymar is also part of Luiz Felipe Scolari’s squad for the up-coming Confederations Cup, which kicks off in Brazil in June.